Taking Action on Planetary Health
Building community to advance planetary health.
February 17 to June 23, 2023
With the complex connection between environmental health and human health becoming increasingly apparent, the necessity for healthcare professionals to incorporate planetary health approaches in their practice is more important than ever. Taking Action on Planetary Health introduces learners to the emerging and transdisciplinary social movement of Planetary health and offers the opportunity for learners to develop and implement solutions that will allow humanity and the natural systems we depend on to thrive now and in the future.
Over the course of 7 interactive online sessions (4 synchronous and 3 asynchronous) and independent group work, participants will explore key planetary health concepts and frameworks, collaborate with a diverse group of learners, and apply planetary health principles to a novel and practical planetary health intervention.
Our goal is to build community and capacity among healthcare professionals committed to planetary health promotion and action.
- Describe the scope of the planetary health crises as they affect individual and population health
- Assess and critique proposed principles and frameworks of planetary health
- Recognize opportunities for more sustainable and just healthcare delivery on micro/meso/macro levels
- Design and be ready to implement a plan to apply planetary health principles within one’s role as a healthcare professional
- Develop strategies to navigate, and reflect upon, the complex emotions evoked by the planetary health crises
Structure of the Program
4 live interactive workshops scheduled over 16 weeks
3 asynchronous sessions for flexible learning between live workshops, with ample time for groups to schedule meetings to complete their group-based activities
Activities, readings, and resource material available for when and how you prefer to work
Group based project to apply planetary health principles and develop a plan of action, with support and guidance from faculty and fellow learners
Expected Outcomes for Participants
- Join a community of healthcare professionals dedicated to leading change and implementing action to tackle the planetary health crisis
- Be prepared to implement a plan that applies planetary health principles within one’s role as a healthcare professional
- Earn a Certificate of Completion
Who is this program for?
This program is designed for healthcare professionals from multiple disciplines interested in leading change and implementing action to tackle the planetary health crisis.
- Family Physicians
- Specialist Physicians
- Nurses and Nurse Practitioners
- Naturopathic Doctors
- Mental Health Care Providers
- Graduate students, post-doctoral students, medical residents, and young professionals
- Other Allied Health Professionals
This certificate welcomes a diversity of perspectives, expertise, and experiences. Learners are welcome to register individually, or as a team. Teams will receive a small tuition discount. For group registrations, please email us.